Three Goodman Allen Donnelly attorneys are scheduled to present at Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys‘ Spring Sections Seminar, May 13-15, 2020. The event, originally scheduled to be held in Harrisonburg, has been moved to a distance learning platform, with details to be posted on the event website. The agenda includes the following presentations:
Joseph Pope will provide a Case Law Update, exploring recent decisions of the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Fourth Circuit, and the US Supreme Court that impact Virginia practitioners, providing a detailed overview of important cases decided by these courts. The cases typically focus on jurisdictional questions, insurance law, torts, civil rights, damages, and remedies.
A. William Charters‘ presentation, Hospital’s Duty to Protect Patients and Control Other Violent Patients On Premise, will focus on various duties imposed on hospitals to control the conduct of patients and/or third parties. Topics include:
- Recent case law addressing when the existence of a hospital-patient relationship creates a duty to control a patient
- A hospital’s liability for injuries their patients suffer at the hand of third parties
- Potential steps to protect patients from violent criminal acts of third parties, including other patients
- Ways to avoid liability for unforeseeable third-party criminal acts
Donna Hall‘s presentation, Crossroads: Bankruptcy and Corporate Representation, will discuss tips for navigating the complex world of bankruptcy law in representing corporate clients. She brings her years of experience with the bankruptcy bar, including her time as a Chapter 7 Trustee and federal receiver, to discuss tips for navigating the complex world of bankruptcy law in representing corporate clients. Topics include:
- Different types of bankruptcy and how they may affect representation of corporate clients
- Communications with Trustees (including what to do when you get a demand for payment from the Trustee)
- Avoiding pitfalls with the automatic stay
- When to advise your corporate client to seek bankruptcy counsel
- Adverse actions and what to do when you get named in a suit
- Preferences and fraudulent transfers and how to defend each
Registration details may be found on the VADA event website.