Michael L. Goodman
Michael Goodman is a founding member of the law firm of Goodman Allen Donnelly. He specializes in the representation of healthcare providers in professional regulatory board investigations, disciplinary actions, licensure, credentialing and peer review matters, third-party payor proceedings and risk management issues. Michael has represented hundreds of health care providers throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia in medical malpractice claims and state board inquiries, giving him a unique depth and breadth of experience. He is an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Richmond School of Law where for over 15 years he he taught Medical Liability Law and Bioethics.
Michael regularly lectures health care practitioners on how to maintain compliance with changing laws and regulations, and to respond to investigations and enforcement actions. Much of his personal practice concentrates on counseling medical professionals preparing for or recovering from the effects of disciplinary actions. He is a member of the affiliate faculty of the Department of Legal Medicine at VCU Medical Center. Michael has been consistently recognized by his peers as one of Virginia's Legal Elite® in Health Care, Virginia Business Magazine; a Virginia Super Lawyer® (Virginia’s Top 100), Law and Politics and Virginia Super Lawyers Magazines; and in Best Lawyers in America® in Health Care, US News and World Report and Best Lawyers in America Magazines. He is also a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. In addition to his legal skills, Michael is a talented cartoonist. He has been featured as an Editorial Cartoonist in the Richmond Times-Dispatch Sunday Business Section and has had his works nationally syndicated and published throughout the legal and business communities, not to mention he designs our annual holiday card.
Professional Affiliations, Awards and Service
- Fellow of American Bar Foundation
- Best Lawyers in America®, US News and World Report and Best Lawyers in America Magazines
- Virginia's Legal Elite® - Health Law, Virginia Business Magazine, 2013-2020
- Virginia Super Lawyers® (TOP 100 IN 2013)- Health Care, Medical Malpractice-Defense and Personal Injury-Defense, Virginia Super Lawyers Magzine, Law and Politics, and Richmond Magazines, 2006-2014
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly Class of 2009 "Leaders in the Law"
- Ethics Committee - Memorial Regional Medical Center
- Ethics Committee - Virginia Commonwealth University Hospitals
- JCC Forum Speakers Series
- Past Chairman
- John Marshall Inn of Court
- Past President
- Virginia State Bar Professionalism Course Faculty
- Richmond Bar Association Award of "Special Recognition for Creative and Artistic Contributions"
- ABA Award for "Law Newspaper Excellence" in editorial cartooning, Virginia Law Weekly
- Award winner of 2nd Annual 3-D Illustrators Show, New York Art Directors Club
- Award of Merit, Virginia Press Association
- UVA Raven Society (scholarship and citizenship)
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va., J.D. 1980
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va., B.A., High Distinction, Echols Scholar , 1977
- Law Clerk to the Honorable James C. Turk, Chief Judge and the Honorable James H. Michael, Jr., U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia, Charlottesville (1980-81)
Admitted to Practice
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals