G. Wythe Michael, Jr.
Wythe Michael focuses his practice primarily on the legal issues facing owners of closely held companies. Often acting as an outside "general counsel," Wythe provides practical solutions to legal issues by working with company management to understand and implement their business strategy. Wythe also regularly works with medical, dental, veterinarian, and other professional service firms and understands the unique issues impacting these firms and their owners.
Wythe regularly assists growing companies on such issues as business formation and structuring; capital needs, including private securities offerings, venture capital and "angel" financing; buy-sell agreements; mergers and acquisitions; succession planning; and personal estate planning. He also assists businesses on a wide range of day-to-day issues including employment and consulting agreements; service agreements; real estate leases; joint venture agreements; sales, marketing and production agreements; non-disclosure and non-solicitation agreements; and employee ownership and incentive plans.
Wythe also represents regional and national clients in structuring various types of private securities offerings, including offerings by operating companies seeking initial seed capital, offerings by private investment funds and offerings by real estate sponsors.
Professional Affiliations, Awards and Service
- Virginia's Legal Elite®, in Business, Virginia Business Magazine
- Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce
- Chairman's Award 2010 and 2012
- Past member, Board of Directors
- Past Chair, Personnel Committee
- Past Chair, Presidential Search Committee
- Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center, Past Chairman of Advisory Council
- Coach for little league baseball, "Upward" basketball and soccer
- Virginia State Bar
- American Bar Association (Member, Business Law and Public Contracts Law Sections)
- University of Richmond, J.D.
- College of William and Mary, B.A
- Assisted numerous clients in the acquisition or sale of manufacturing, construction, technology, medical, dental, veterinary and service businesses.
- Represented numerous issuers in structuring and implementing private securities offerings, raising in excess of $750 million in equity since 2003.
- Prepared and reviewed numerous employment and consulting agreements for physicians and mid-levels working for both practice groups and hospital systems.
- Represented a private equity fund in a $75 million offering for the acquisition of a large, diversified portfolio of commercial real estate properties.
- Assisted a regional construction company in the formation of an ESOP and the purchase and financing of 100% of the company's stock by the ESOP.
- Advised a medical technology company in developing a model for joint venture arrangements with physician-users, including resolving regulatory issues, developing agreements and structuring securities offerings.
- Represented several clients in the strategic acquisition or sale of distressed technology companies involving structured payments to creditors and potential shareholder earn-outs.
- Represented several private equity and hedge funds in offerings targeting real estate and long/short opportunities.
- Represented a regional venture capital firm in numerous "Series A", "Series B" and "Series C" preferred stock investments, as well as several bridge financings in portfolio companies.
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Publications and Presentations
- Using the New Crowdfunding Rules to Raise Capital, Paradigm (Spring 2016)
- Evaluating Clinically Integrated Networks, What Should My Practice Consider Before Joining, Hampton Roads Physician, Summer 2016
- Advertising and General Solicitation Now Permitted for Companies Conducting Private Securities Offerings, Paradigm (Winter 2014)
- Buy-Sell or Succession - What's Your Plan? (September 2013 presentation to Business Beyond Banking program sponsored by C&F Bank)
- Momentum Continues Toward Advisor and Fund Registration
- Traps for the Unwary in TIC Deals, Co-authored with J.M. Ramey
- SEC Issues Proposed Rules Regarding Changes to Regulation D
- The Virginia Limited Liability Company Act