E. Duffy Myrtetus
Duffy Myrtetus is a shareholder of the Firm resident in the Richmond office. A highly experienced real estate, business transactions and commercial litigation attorney, Mr. Myrtetus’s practice is principally centered on the representation of various parties involved in transactional and litigation matters related to the acquisition, sale, lease, financing, development, and operation of real property assets and interests.
He maintains a diverse practice representing individual investors, institutional lenders and investors, developers, loan servicers, property managers, underwriters, brokers and others in a wide variety of matters related to planning, entitlement, development, financing, mortgage banking, title claims, loan workouts, and related transactions and litigation. Additionally, his transactional practice includes commercial and residential settlements, tax credit financings, commercial and conduit loans, mortgage foreclosures, land use and planning, and mortgage lender servicing matters. Mr. Myrtetus also has experience in commercial litigation matters including forfeiture proceedings, fraudulent conveyances, title claims, boundary line disputes, partition, construction disputes, and related claims. He also handles estate and trust planning and administration, as well as fiduciary claim litigation and ancillary administration in Virginia and Florida.
Mr. Myrtetus is a native of Miami, Florida, where he also maintains an active practice. He earned a dual Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Spanish from the University of Richmond in 1985, and he earned his law degree from St. Thomas University in 1988. Upon completion of law school, he entered private practice in Miami, practicing there until 1991 when he was admitted to the Virginia Bar. He is admitted to all state and federal courts in Florida and Virginia, and is also admitted to the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Myrtetus is the past Chair of the Real Estate Section for the City of Richmond Bar Association, and is a past President of the Out of State Practitioner’s Division of the Florida Bar, and currently serves as a member of the Florida Bar’s Board of Governors. He is AV rated by Martindale Hubbell, and has been recognized as one of Virginia Business Magazine’s Legal Elite in Construction (2004 - present).
Professional Affiliations, Awards and Service
- Virginia Bar Association - Real Estate Section, Litigation Section
- Florida Bar Association - Real Property Trust and Probate Section; Out-of-State Division, Executive Council, 1996-Present; President, 2001-2002; Council of Sections, 2000-2005; Executive Council and Chair, 2005
- Richmond Bar Association - Real Estate Section, Bankruptcy Section, General Practice Section
- Virginia Land Title Association
- Greater RIchmond Association of Commercial Real Estate (GRACRE)
- University of Richmond Richmond College Alumni Board: Board of DIrectors, 1998-2002, Treasurer, 2001-2002
- University of Richmond Lake Society
- University of Richmond Spider Club
- Longwood University Real Estate Foundation: Board of Directors, 2004-Present
- Capitol Square Renovations: represented a national developer as Operator in the first state level public-private partnership project in Virginia under the Virginia Public Private Educational and Infrastructure Act (Finance Building - $26.3M, and Washington Building - $15.8M)
- VCU Monroe Park Campus Expansion: represented national developer as Project Manager in all aspects of a $187M new construction project for expansion of the School of Business and School of Engineering
- Rosslyn Portfolio: acted as Virginia counsel for multi-state parties in complex REIT restructuring, loan assignments, zoning matters, and $786M office building acquisitions in Arlington, VA
- Midtown Landings/Longwood Village / Lancer Village: assisted non-stock corporation as university Foundation for State University in all aspects of the acquisition, planning, financing, and development for a $30M student housing project, condominium units, and related facilities, including tax exempt bond financing and bond refinancing
- Represented national lender in $50M of foreclosures litigation, receiverships, and loan workouts throughout state of Florida from Jacksonville to Florida Keys
- Represented College Foundation in a $30M public-private partnership involving all aspects of the planning, design, development, financing, and construction of new student housing facilities on state owned property, using tax exempt bond financing
- Represented investors and developer in the acquisition, corporate structuring/formation, securities matters, equity financing, and developement of 248,750 square feet of commercial office space in three (3) Class A office buildings located at Virginia Center
- Represented developer in the planning, re-zoning, and land use matters relating to a +320 acre project, consisting of single family, multi-family, and commercial mixed uses located in King WIlliam County, including all administrative filings and hearing before the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors, and the negotiation and County approval of public utility agreements, etc.
- University of Richmond, B.A., 1985
- St. Thomas University School of Law, J.D., 1988
Recognition and Honors
- Top Forty Under Forty; Virginia Magazine, 2002
- Virginia's Legal Elite; Virginia Business Magazine - 2004, 2008, 2009
- AV Rated; Martindale-Hubbell
- Virginia State and Federal Courts
- Florida State and Federal Courts
- United States Supreme Court
- Approved attorney for Fidelity National Title, Chicago Title, and FIrst American Title