Douglas E. Penner
With a unique background in hospital risk management and claims, Douglas Penner's focus on Medical Malpractice Defense and Health Care Law brings tremendous depth and experience to his clients and to the firm. Doug has represented nursing homes, assisted living facilities, hospitals, pharmacists, physicians, dentists, nurses and other health care providers throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia, trying cases to verdict in various state courts. This distinctive combination of claims and risk management experience gives him an unparalleled and invaluable ability to understand and counsel clients on critical matters of risk prevention.
Doug's legal experience also extends into the advocacy role for health care providers who are faced with disciplinary proceedings before their respective professional licensing boards. He has additional experience in the area of Professional Liability matters involving accountants, architects, engineers, realtors and lawyers as well as Products Liability and Medical Device Litigation.
Professional Affiliations, Awards and Service
- Virginia State Bar
- Health Law Section, Board of Governors 2013-present Health Law Section Chair, 2015 - 2016
- Litigation Section
- Virginia Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Virginia Beach Bar Association
- Norfolk - Portsmouth Bar Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Virginia Chapter of the American Society for Healthcare Risk Management (VASHRM)
- Sentara Careplex Ethics Committee 2012-present
- The Catholic University of America, J.D.
- James Madison University, B.A.
Admitted to Practice
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia