Charles M. Allen
Charles (Chuck) Allen is a founder and the Managing Member of Goodman Allen Donnelly. His practice focuses on providing clients a wide range of intellectual property, commercial, product liability, professional liability, and complex litigation services.
Chuck has been recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2017 Richmond Intellectual Property – Litigation “Lawyer of the Year”, an award he also garnered in 2013. He was Best Lawyers® 2014 Richmond "Lawyer of the Year" for Patent Litigation. Chuck is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Copyright Law, Patent Law, Trademark Law, and in the areas of Construction, Intellectual Property, Patent and Real Estate Litigation.
He is consistently recognized by his peers as one of Virginia's Legal Elite® in Virginia Business Magazine, and has been named a Virginia Super Lawyer® each year from 2006 to 2016, including being named as one of the Top 100 Virginia Super Lawyers® and one of the Top 50 Richmond Super Lawyers® every year since 2014.
Chuck is an adjunct professor of law at T.C. Williams Law School (University of Richmond) where he teaches trial advocacy skills. He has also taught at Liberty University School of Law and The Judge Advocate General's School of the Army. He is a frequent lecturer on litigation techniques including the use of technology in litigation and law firm management as well as ethics and professional issues.
Since 2010, Chuck has served on the Board of Directors of CharacterWorks, a Christian youth theater in Richmond, and he served on the Servant Leadership Council of Richmond's Gayton Baptist Church in Richmond from 2006 to 2011.
Professional Affiliations, Awards and Service
- Virginia State Bar Standing Committee on Professionalism 2010-present
- Board of Directors, Christian Youth Theater Richmond 2010-present
- Servant Leadership Council, Gayton Baptist Church 2006-present
- Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Property
- The Legal Elite for Intellectual Property, Virginia Business Magazine, 2013-2017
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property, Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine, 2006-2014
- Best Lawyers in Richmond, Product Liability, Richmond Magazine
- Advisory Council, Associate of Graduates, U.S. Military Academy 2010-present
- Chair, Standing Committee on Professionalism, Virginia State Bar 2009-2010
- President, Greater Richmond, Intellectual Property Law Association 2008-2009
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Law, Liberty University School of Law 2007
- Mandatory Professionalism Course Faculty, Virginia State Bar 2003-2006
- Mandatory Continuing Education Committee, Virginia State Bar 1998-2005
- Adjunct Professor of Law, T.C. Williams Law School, University of Richmond 1996-2002
- Adjunct Professor of Law, The Judge Advocate General's School, U.S. Army 1991-2003
- Outstanding Young Military Service Attorney, U.S. Army 1987-1988
- Board of Governors, Pentagon Officers Athletic Club 1986-1988
- U.S. Military Academy, B.S., 1976
- Harvard School of Law, J.D.,
- Colonel, Judge Advocate General's Corps, Retired
- U.S. Army Reserve 1989-2004
- U.S. Army 1976-1989
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals (Armed Forces, 4th Circuit, D.C. Circuit)
- U.S. District Courts (E.D. Va., D. Mass., W.D. Mich., D.D.C., W.D. Va.)